Thursday, February 17, 2011

Step shows, image, and our organizations

A friend told me that he was being forced to attend a step show at a local university. He sighed and explained that every time he went to a step show he was embarrassed by the behavior of the chapters and members. His own fraternity's behavior was worst; at the last step show, a member pulled down his pants and mooned the audience. He put it best: "Which part of my organization's guiding principles are they going to piss on tonight? I don't know, but I know they will do some coonery to embarrass the organization."

Amen. That is why I refuse to go to any step show ever again.

At first I resisted going to step shows because I didn't want to pay (yes, I am frugal).

Now, if you gave me a free golden ticket, I would tear it up, take a match to the shreds, and hand you the ashes in return.

I hate step shows and all that they stand for. And that's going to get some corners of Black Greekdom excited and infuriated; they'll talk about how much care and effort they put into the show, how much time they take to plan the show. That's cool, but I could ask you if you are putting the same care, effort, and dedication into the growth of the sorority. [And don't give me that crap about we raise money for the chapter line. If you spend $2000 on a show (travel, props, clothing, music, choreographer) and the money you won is $1,000, that's not a good return ratio. Most step show winnings support the step team, not the chapter programming or administration.]

That's not the point. Step shows are causing the slow deaths of our organizations. These damn shows (most of times not even NPHC sponsored so who knows where the money is going) is why our organizations are crumbling into non-existence.** For many people, this is the only exposure they get to BGLOs.

I remember the freshmen on my campus who were in awe because they had never seen anything like this, never knew about groups like this. At step shows, people see us shout, stroll, call, step, chant, and have a good time. And that's it. That's the sole impression many people have. They believe that's all we can do. That's the only public representation we have out there (beyond School Daze and Stomp the Yard, but those are different discussions for a different day).

Image and branding matter. And our collective image and individual organizational reputations are grounded in the public representations and presentations we give and make. If all your tangible branding efforts are through step shows, yard shows, and parties, don't expect people to look at your organization as a beacon of light, service, fellowship, and sisterhood (or brotherhood).

Naw, you are seen as the party crew, the entertainment, the shuck-and-jive show. And that gets old after awhile.

And we wonder why we have the piss-poor IG pools, why we have people who jump into these organizations without any service experience and without any interest in the history of the organizations. Next time you walk into a step show and see some shenanigans, ask yourself, "Would my founders be proud of the example we are setting?"

**Note: Step shows are just one of many reasons for this. I blame St. John suits, the lack of strategic planning, mission creep, general incompetence, and organizational mismanagement as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment